New horror project: the polish

We’ve spent the past few days polishing the script… folded in much (but not all) of the feedback we got, fixed the typos, found some new words that sounded more better.

Still very pleased with the first draft, the structure overall. The polishing is putting that final sheen on it, but it really isn’t getting what I’d call a “second draft”. Don’t think it needed it. Is that hubris? Could be… time will tell. It is after all a genre movie, and it was pretty carefully outlined as such before we set to writing, so we had a clear structural target from the get-go.

Important changes: […]

New horror project: day twenty-one writing

And… scene! Spent a few hours today tightening up some loose ends on the first draft. Gave the dog some more face time. Figured out how we could keep the spray can of bear piss, have it still be relevant, then when to get rid of it. Wrote a new stanza for the Victorian poetry[…]

Zhura – still troubling after all these scenes.

UPDATE: After my FIRST Zhura posting, I told you that I’d tried creating a new doc from a TEXT file to purge the technology demons from my script. So far less than perfect. I’ve still got niggling problems like whole portions of the script (a dozen pages or more) suddenly and inexplicably becoming BOLD, or[…]

New horror project: day eighteen writing

Another day online through Zhura. Got a kinda late start… Sean’s Aunt needed a cast. Long story. Ends with a broken fibula. Another time. Pounded through 5 pages… saved our heroes from the mountain lion, took them up the mountain trail, and trapped them as the beasties advance. Gave them a harrowing adventure crossing a[…]

Zhura.com update

[follow up to this follow up here] As you know, we’re using Zhura.com‘s online screenwriting collaboration tools to write our latest (untitled) feature project. And as you know, it’s proven less than perfect. What came out of the research around “why is this thing so buggy” is that we had cut and pasted our original[…]

New horror project: day eleven writing

Sweet. Another day down. More productive today… Sean was at his desk, so we were both seeing the Zhura interface at the same time. Added three new pages today. Our heroes, freaked out by the brutal death of the dog, tried to escape the mountain only to wreck their car, one of them badly injured[…]

New horror project: day ten writing

We’ve had the money shot! Today was a tough day logistically… Sean planned to work remotely via Zhura, but ended up with errands to run and participated largely by phone while picking up prescriptions and other such mundane tasks. He did his valiant best to stay focused, especially considering he wasn’t able to see the[…]

New horror project: day nine writing

Another story meeting. We’ve completed the story up to the point where the creatures are to be revealed, and our characters have to take off on a dangerous journey through the mountains while being pursued. Today, we wanted to review the outline, and add more clear roadblocks to their juggernaut trip (is that redundant?) to[…]

Why Zhura isn't perfect

(Follow up post here…) As you may recall, my writing partner and I are using the online script writing collaboration tool “Zhura.com“. We usually use Final Draft, but wanted something that was web based, would allow us both remote access to the script, and preferably simultaneous access for true collaboration. We looked at a number[…]

New horror project: day eight writing

As last mentioned, we’ve reached a place where an adjustment of our outline is in order. The outline calls for another day at the cabin before the creatures are fully revealed. A day of further development of the character arcs, a ratcheting of tensions between them, some flashback scenes with the crazy old lady (illuminating[…]

Clef two-factor authentication